The RightTrack financial seminar series helps young adults age 16-21 get started on the road to financial independence. Participants take three short online courses to learn how to responsibly manage a checking account, debit card and RightTrack Visa card. Parental consent is required. Please see important program details below.
Financial Education for Young Adults (ages 16-21)
Start down the track toward Financial Independence with a NEFCU checking account and Visa Debit Card. You can also build your credit history with a NEFCU RightTrack Visa card. Simply take 3 online courses, register, and print your certificates of completion and bring in to any branch. Read Program Details
We’ll give you the initial deposit of $25, as our gift to you! Get started now!
Set and Achieve Goals
RightTrack - Checking, Debit Card and RightTrack Visa Card
All applicants must be eligible for NEFCU membership.
Program is for young adults age 16-21. Successful completion of this program means participants will become a member of New England Federal Credit Union, receiving a checking account with a $25 opening balance* (complements of NEFCU) and a debit card. Participants also have the option to apply for a RightTrack Visa Card.
- You must register when you complete each online course. Make sure to use your full name, as it appears on your valid, current form of identification (see acceptable forms of ID below).
- Program requires the consent of a parent or guardian for young adults under 18.
- Consent form must be printed and signed. Bring it to the branch to open your account.
- Although parent/guardian consent is required, for applicants under the age of 18, the parent/guardian is NOT joint on the checking account.
- If you choose to open a RightTrack Visa Card, by law, anyone under the age of 21 must have a co-signer unless you are able to qualify for the card independently. Essentially, what this means is you already have "good credit" and a job/income. You must be at least age 16 to apply.
- The RightTrack Visa co-signer can be your parent, guardian or any other adult age 21 or older who qualifies for the account.
- If you require a co-signer, you both may like to read this article: Understand the Impact of Co-Signing.
- The RightTrack Visa co-signer will need to apply for the account with you. The co-signer can do this by either coming into a branch, calling Loan Phone at 866-80-LOANS or by applying online at nefcu.com.
- If the co-signer applies online or by phone, they should enter your name as "Primary Applicant" along with your social security number, then complete only the co-signer portion of the application and choose "Submit". When you come into a branch, the Credit Union will contact the co-signer to complete their part of the application process. Your co-signer can click here to apply.
- If you choose to open the RightTrack Visa Card you will start with a $200 limit. If you manage your account well and remain a member in good standing (which NEFCU defines as making regular payments on the Visa account, having no bounced checks, handling your debit card well and having good credit history), you can contact NEFCU once a year to review your Visa account and apply to increase your credit limit. Usually this is an opportunity to increase your limit a maximum of $100 each year. A great way for you to responsibly build a strong credit rating!
- Remember, when you are 21, you can ask NEFCU to consider removing the co-signer from your Visa account.
- When you come in to open your account(s), be ready to spend up to an hour. There will be an onsite tutorial to get you started and answer all your questions - we don't want you to feel rushed! We will show you how to set up and use NEFCUOnline and Account Alerts. Also, we will bring you to the onsite ATM to familiarize you with how it works, as well as how to make both deposits and withdrawals with your debit card.
- You will need a valid, current form of identification (with a photo) with you to open the account. Acceptable forms of ID include: Driver's License, VT non-driver's ID, US Armed Forces ID Card, US Passport, Resident Alien Card or US Visa, University of Vermont Medical Center or GLOBALFOUNDRIES Work Badge. The address on the ID used must match the address on the account (a P.O. Box is not acceptable), or NEFCU, by law, is required to verify the address with either: computer-generated pay stub, property tax bill, insurance policy, vehicle registration, lease, or utility or phone bill from current address.
- WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU TO OPEN YOUR ACCOUNT:
- 3 Certificates of Completion from Guides to Independence
- Acceptable Identification
- Consent form signed by a parent/guardian if under 18
- If you wish to open the RightTrack Visa, either bring your co-signer with you, or make sure they have already called in or applied online at nefcu.com.
- If you have any questions, please call TeleBranch at 802-879-8790 or 800-400-8790, Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, Saturday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
Get started now!
Set and Achieve Goals
* NEFCU will deposit $25 into your new checking account. This amount will be included with any other dividends that you may earn on the annual 1099 tax reporting notice that we are required to send you and to file with the IRS.