The RightTrack financial education series helps young adults age 16-18 get started on the road to financial independence. Participants take three online courses to learn how to responsibly manage a checking account, debit card and RightTrack Visa® card. Parental consent is required. Please see important program details below. Please see important program details below.
Financial Education for Young Adults (ages 16-18)
Start down the track toward financial independence with a NEFCU checking account and Visa Debit Card. You can also build your credit history with a NEFCU Starter Visa card. Simply register and take 3 online courses. Upon successful completion, bring your action plan on your mobile device or printed to any branch. Read Program Details
We’ll give you the initial deposit of $25, as our gift to you! Get started now!
Creating a Budget
Banking with Financial Institutions
Using Credit Cards Responsibly
RightTrack - Checking, Debit Card and RightTrack VISA® Card
All applicants must be eligible for NEFCU membership.
Program is for young adults age 16-18. Successful completion of this program means participants will become a member of New England Federal Credit Union, receiving a checking account with a $25 opening balance (complements of NEFCU) and a debit card. Participants also have the option to apply for a RightTrack VISA® Card.
- You must register to complete each online course. Make sure to use your full name, as it appears on your valid, current form of identification (see acceptable forms of ID below).
- Successful course completion requires a 70% or higher score for each course.
- Program requires the consent of a parent or guardian for young adults under 18.
- Consent form must be printed and signed. Bring it to the branch to open your account.
- Although parent/guardian consent is required for applicants under the age of 18, the parent/guardian consent is NOT required for joint checking accounts.
- If you choose to open a RightTrack Visa® Card, by law, anyone under the age of 18 must have a co-signer, unless you are 18 and can prove you are able to qualify for the card independently. Essentially, what this means is you already have "good credit" and a job/income. You must be at least age 16 to apply.
- The RightTrack Visa® co-signer can be your parent, guardian or any other adult age 18 or older who qualifies for the account.
If you require a co-signer, you both may like to read this article: Is Co-Signing For Your Child Really a Good Idea?
- The RightTrack Visa® co-signer will need to apply for the account with you. The co-signer can do this by either coming into a branch, calling Loan Phone at 866-80-LOANS or by applying online at nefcu.com.
- If the co-signer applies online or by phone, they should enter your name as "Primary Applicant" along with your social security number, then complete only the co-signer portion of the application and choose "Submit". When you come into a branch, the Credit Union will contact the co-signer to complete their part of the application process. Your co-signer can click here to apply.
- If you choose to open the RightTrack Visa® Card you will start with a $200 limit. If you manage your account well and remain a member in good standing (which NEFCU defines as making regular payments on the Visa account, having no bounced checks, handling your debit card well and having good credit history), you can contact NEFCU once a year to review your Visa® account and apply to increase your credit limit. Usually this is an opportunity to increase your limit a maximum of $100 each year. A great way for you to responsibly build a strong credit rating!
- When you come in to open your account(s), be ready to spend up to an hour. That will give us time to answer all your questions and we don't want you to feel rushed. We will show you how to set up and use NEFCUOnline and Account Alerts. Also, we will bring you to the onsite ATM to familiarize you with how it works, as well as how to make both deposits and withdrawals with your debit card.
- You will need a valid, current form of identification (with a photo) with you to open the account. Acceptable forms of ID include: Driver's License, VT non-driver's ID, US Armed Forces ID Card, US Passport, Resident Alien Card or US Visa, Medical Center or Global Foundries Work Badge. The address on the ID used must match the address on the account (a P.O. Box is not acceptable), or NEFCU, by law, is required to verify the address with either: computer-generated pay stub, property tax bill, insurance policy, vehicle registration, lease, or utility or phone bill from current address.
- WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU TO OPEN YOUR ACCOUNT:
- Proof of successful course completion on your mobile device or printed action plans
- Acceptable Identification
- Consent form signed by a parent/guardian if under 18
- If you wish to open the RightTrack Visa®, either bring your co-signer with you, or make sure they have already called in or applied online at nefcu.com.
- If you have any questions, please call the Contact Center at 802.879.8790 or 800.400.8790, Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 6:00 pm, Saturday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
Get started today on the courses below:
Creating a Budget
Banking With Financial Institutions
Using Credit Cards Responsibly
* NEFCU will deposit $25 into your new checking account. This amount will be included with any other dividends that you may earn on the annual 1099 tax reporting notice that we are required to send you and to file with the IRS.